4.17.2011

Zucchini Croquettes




I have been pretty busy lately, which I am sure most people are these days! But I honestly made these in 15 minutes, no lie, from start to finish.  These are super quick, and great as a side dish. If you want to trick a kid into eating veggies, I am sure this would work. The ratio of vegetable to cheese and bread is good enough to call this dish a vegetable serving. So enjoy! And don't feel the least bit guilty :)


Zucchini Croquettes 
1 Medium Zucchini
1 large egg
1/4 of a medium onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In a large bowl combine cheeses, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Finely chop onion and garlic and add to bowl, along with 1 egg. The smaller the chop here, the better. Mix everything together until egg is scrambled with the other ingredients.



Remove ends from zucchini and discard. Using a cheese grater, grate the zucchini into shreds. Next place grated zucchini in between a folded paper towel/ You can also put that inbetween a dish towl. This will get rid off all the excess water. I placed a book on top to speed up the process. Once the zucchini is dry, stir into cheese mixture, until thoroughly combines. 


Heat a medium pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil, over medium-high heat. Using your hands, form small patties with zucchini mixture, and add to hot oil. Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side. I like to finish mine in the oven at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes, to get them extra crispy, but you can eat them right out of the frying pan!

These can be served with any sauce you like. I made a super quick Greek yogurt and dill sauce, just what it sounds like, yogurt with dill! But they are good with spicy brown mustard too!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this recipe tonight for dinner! We are wheat-free, so instead of breadcrumbs I'm going to use almond meal and I don't fry with olive oil, so I'll use coconut instead...so we'll see how it goes! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this recipe and decided to 'give it a try' - not only did we like them, we LOVED them, and I just returned from the garden to see when the next zucchini might be ready so I could try them again! They were that good. :)

    I noticed the mixture got very saturated, so I imagine I could have drained the zucchini in a collander too.

    Well worth the try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...