9.14.2011

Caramalized Brussel Sprouts & Pearl Onions


Before you run away screaming, let me say that I have never had brussel sprouts. I always thought of them as a childhood nightmare, that you would see kids in cartoons scream over. So I never tried to cook them, and since you usually don't see brussel sprouts on the menu at your favorite restaurant, I have never even tasted one!

Expecting the worst, I gave these babies a go. They are so cute, and look like little baby cabbages. So I decided to pair them with pearl onions, which are little baby onions. And make the tiniest, most frustrating dish ever. In the end it was so tasty, and definitely worth the trouble!


Caramalized Brussel Sprouts & Pearl Onions

2 cups brussel sprouts
1 cup pearl onions
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt
Black pepper

Start by preparing your brussel sprouts. This was a totally new experience for me, but it is very similar to how you would prepare cabbage or a head of lettuce. Peel away any outer leaves that may be damaged. Trim the thick base of with a sharp knife, then cut in half length-wise. 

Prepare the onions in a similar fashion. This is a little more difficult because onion skin is thin and not so easily peeled. By more difficult I mean this: by the end I was sobbing from the onions and never wanted to see another pearl onion in my life. 

Miniature devil vegetables.
Place brussel sprouts in a small bowl and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, along with salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently to coat. 

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a medium pan. Once oil is hot, add brussel sprouts, cut side down, placing larger sprouts towards the middle and smaller sprouts towards the outside. 

Cover pan and let cook for about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional 5, turning brussel sprouts over half way. 


Remove from pan and set aside. Add peeled onions to pan, and if oil is low, add a bit more. Sautee' onions for about 10 minutes on low, until brown and nicely caramelized. Add onions to brussel sprouts and toss to combine! 


i

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...