8.30.2012

Sweet Potato and Lentil Curry


Continuing on this journey of veganism..... I needed something that was going to fill me up. I find the one big problem with the whole vegan thing is that no matter how much I eat I am always hungry an hour later. Like last night I made Tofu and Bean Sprout Lettuce Wraps and ate about 6 of them. It was a lot of food. But and hour later it was like I never ate! TJ would tell you this has to do with my "hollow leg". Apparently this leg is why I can eat 14 cookies in one sitting.

Anyways I wanted something hearty, but still good for me (aka not a huge plate of pasta) and what is more filling than potatoes and beans? This dish is so flavorful and works really well on its own or over rice. It is also an excuse for me to eat raw cilantro....

Sweet Potato and Lentil Curry

2 small sweet potatoes
1 cup lentils, rinsed and drained
1/2 yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons red curry paste
2-3 cups vegetable broth
1 medium zucchini, cubed
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
Green onion, sliced
Cilantro

In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Dice onions and add to pot, stirring occasionally until they begin to soften.

While onions are cooking peel potatoes and dice into small cubes, and set aside. 

Once onions are soft add curry paste, minced garlic and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring until fragrant. Add broth, potatoes, lentils, salt and pepper, and cumin and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender. 

Remove lid and add zucchini. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, until zucchini is barely tender. Top with green onions and cilantro and serve over warm basmati rice or by itself!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...