3.29.2011

Coconut Curry Lentil Soup


This was a necessity recipe. I had to use some cilantro in my fridge, so I built a recipe around it. Also I had to work until 8, which means I wouldn't have time to make dinner so I wanted something I could thrown in the crock pot. And when I say throw in the crock pot, I mean meticulously chop ingredients, take pictures, and arrange a final dish that looks pretty. Hopefully a crock pot is a little more grab and go for you LOL! 
Lentils are an amazing source of protein and fiber!
Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
1 cup dried lentil
2 cups waters
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 cup light coconut milk
2 cups small yellow potatoes
1 cup mushrooms
1/2 large yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
1 inch piece of ginger
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoons yellow curry powder
1 teaspoon chili paste or hot sauce
Squeeze of fresh lime
1/2 cup fresh cliantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper




Gather your ingredients and take a pretty picture :)

In a large pot, or  crock pot place 1 cup of lentils, water, and stock. I know you are suggested to rinse and soak the lentils, but who has time for that? Plus, I don't think it make a difference. Dice yellow potatoes in quarters and add to pot.

Did I mention I needed to use these potatoes too? A lil' wrinkly.....
In a large pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Chop onion and garlic and add to pan, sauteing until onions begin to sweat.  Peel and mince ginger and add to pan for about 2 minutes, or until very fragrant. Remove from heat and add to pot. 


Now it is time to make this soup more ethnic! (and not in the Zumba kinda way)  Add 1 cup of coconut milk. Be sure to shake the can before or stir the can when you open, because the solids will all be resting at the top.

Light coconut milk is better for you, but next time I might use regular.
Add cumin and curry powder, along with salt and pepper. 


Chop half of the cilantro and add to the pot, stirring to combine. At this point the soup should look like this:


Let simmer for for 1-2 hours, or at least until potatoes are tender and flavors have had a chance to come together. Then remove 3/4 of the soup from the pot and add to a blender or food processor. You can also use an immersion blender if you have one.... I do not. (Insert Christmas present hint here) Blend soup until smooth and return to pot.


Cut mushrooms into quarters and add to soup. Bring to a boil and cook until mushroom are tender. Squeeze in fresh lime. Chop remaining cilantro and add to pot, saving a few sprigs for garnish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...