6.25.2011

Southwest Quinoa Salad


 Vacation really puts a damper on my blogging. But I guess I shouldn't complain :) I got to see all of my friends and even meet some new ones! I just got back from Alaska, and 10 days without a new post was driving me crazy! So to celebrate my return to Oscar's Sandwich and also celebrate the end of eating junk food on vacation (yet again), I whipped up this vegetarian dish that is healthy, a complete meal, and ready in a matter of minutes. This can be served as a side dish, used to stuff bell peppers, or eaten as a whole meal! 


Southwest Quinoa Salad
2 cups cooked quinoa
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
1 ear of fresh corn
1/2 cup black beans
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup onion
1/4 cup cilantro
2 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

Makes 4 cups

In a large pot, bring enough water to cover ear of corn to a boil. Add corn and boil for 4-5 minutes. Remove corn from water and set aside to cool. 


Dice onion and mince garlic and set aside. Cut cherry tomatoes into fourths. Roughly chop cilantro. 
Add all chopped vegetables and herbs to a large bowl. 


Rinse and drain black beans and add to bowl, along with lime juice, chili powder, cumin, pepper flakes, salt, pepper and olive oil. 


Once corn is cooled, using a sharp knife, hold ear of corn perpendicular to a cutting board, and cut away kernels. Add to bowl, and stir to combine. 


Add quinoa to bowl and toss to coat. This dish can be served warm or cold, and it delicious both ways. Add with your favorite southwestern toppings such as avocado or salsa for a perfect vegetarian meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...