1.11.2012

Cherry Tomato and Zucchini Ribbon Salad

Lets just chat about New Year resolutions for a second....

I don't know if I have ever made a resolution....maybe when I was younger I made one to stop chewing my nails. Well let's just say I have never paid for a manicure, so that didn't stick. I think that resolutions are great, and not just for January first.  The last year I made a resolution in February and another in June.  Both had to to with eating habits, an both have stuck pretty well.

 If you are going to make a resolution, and you want it to be successful I think the key is to be realistic and specific with yourself. For example don't just say: "I am going to eat healthier." Does that mean less fat, more veggies, no fast food? I think a great resolution that most people should really, really, try is to always have a vegetable with every meal. And not just a carrot. Realistically your plate should always be half full of veggies.  I am not just saying that as a vegetarian, but if people really knew the benefits of eating lots of fruits and vegetable maybe they would stop counting ketchup as a veggie and jelly as fruit.

Anyways, my resolution this year is to be a better vegetarian. I still eat fish but not chicken, beef, or pork. But sometimes.....when the right slice of bacon comes along. I just can't say no. Between breakfast meats, hot dogs and beef jerky, I am a weak person. Which is super random because you would think, "Okay, if a vegetarian is going to cheat they would probably have  a nice steak." Well not me. I want the worst possible meats for you. So I am really going to try and stop the bacon wagon. Also, I realize that I could have said "that's what she said" about 10 times in that paragraph. LOL On to the recipe of the day!!


If I were ever to go on a diet where you could only eat raw foods (aka have never been cooked) I might die. But only after I ate this. If your New Year resolution was to eat more veggies this is a great place to start. A simple veggie salad with healthy oil and fully intact with all of its nutrients. I made this salad, was going to save it for dinner, then ate it all. I wanted to put white beans in it as well to make a complete meal but didn't have any. I think they would be great though, so if you do give it a try!


Cherry Tomato and Zucchini Ribbon Salad

1 large Zucchini
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 clove garlic- minced
1/2 lemon
1.5 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper


Using a vegetable peeper (or potato peeler if you don't have one) peel the zucchini length wise into thin ribbons. Half or quarter the cherry tomatoes and combine in a bowl.



In the bowl add olive oil, juice from lemon, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic. Toss to coat! Easy, quick, and healthy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...