2.28.2012

Oven Roasted Winter Squash Seeds



Here is another quickie for you, and the hippy in us all will love you for it. Talk about wasting nothing!  I usually thrown away the insides of a squash, but after cleaning out about 4 butternut squashes for soup, I began to wonder if I could use those seeds for anything. I think pumpkin and butternut squash are basically identical tasting. Well almost. So I figured you could roast the seeds just like pumpkin seeds! And after google-ing (not a word) to see if they were edible and not some sort of unused secret poison, decided to give it a try. 

I also usually write the recipe before I write the above portion so I had to say that this recipe below made me laugh. For some reason when I was writing the directions I turned into a 3 year old who can't measure stuff? Read ahead and you will see...

Oven Roasted Winter Squash Seeds
Seed from squash
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Favorite Spice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

After you are done cleaning your squash separate your seeds from the slimy guts. <---- Pretty technical terms, hey?

You can rinse the seeds, but I think leaving them as is adds a better flavor. Put seed in a bowl and toss with enough olive oil to coat. Add salt, pepper, and your favorite spice. Use whatever amount seems right to you. I used a few pinches of salt, a pinch of pepper and then sprinkled with garlic salt. <----- Standard measurements too :)

Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. These are great salad or pasta toppers, and are great snacks on their own as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...