5.17.2012

Crispy Baked Kale Chips



These have been all rage on the the ol' in-tro-net lately. The reviews below are just a few I have seen:

"They taste just like potato chips!" 
"I ate the whole batch."
"No more junk food for me!"

My replies: 
"Not a chance."
"Is the batch size 2 chips?"
"Suuuuuuure."

Anyways, so I thought I would give these a try. I don't really even eat chips, but kale is super healthy for you (in the cabbage family) and who doesn't love a crispy treat? The original recipes that I have read call for oil, and salt and pepper. We can do better than that! With a few tweaks, I will have to say these are pretty scrumptious. Also very hard to make... because the time has to be exactly perfect. Too long and the leaves are burnt. Not long enough and it is just a warm leaf. But give this a try and see how it goes for you!


Crispy Baked Kale Chips
1 bunch of kale
Olive oil
Garlic Salt, Barbeque Seasoning, or spice of choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Wash and dry kale. Using a knife remove the thick stems, then tear into bite sized pieces.

Add kale to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with seasoning of choice. I used barbeque spice, but I think curry powder & garlic salt might be great too! Toss to coat, and try to really coat each leaf with oil.

Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minute. Carefully monitor, and when edged of leaves begin to brown remove from oven. 


I was amazed at how crispy these were! Definitly not "just" like potato chips, but still hits the crunchy spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...